FBA and Domain Accounts

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 8, 2007 at 5:10 PM
Had a quick question that has been bugging me for a long time. I just can't seem to find an answer to it anywhere and was hoping that someone here can help. I was able to get this feature working on my SharePoint site without a problem and it works great. What my client is looking for is an easy way for people within the domain to access the site now without having to provide a username and password or to be able to use their already exisiting domain username and password. They don't want to have to have two seperate accounts for the intranet and extranet. Thet extranet is where I have this feature installed. Has anyone been able to do something this or is this even possible?

Thanks
May 11, 2007 at 8:49 AM
If all the users have already have domain accounts then FBA is really not necessary. What I would reccomend is extending an internet zone web application using HTTPS. Any users that access the site via the secure web url will then be prompted for their login - and can use their domain account. I believe that you can even configure SharePoint to use the login.aspx form for login but still use your domain accounts. Haven't tried this before but I imagine it would work in a similar way to Outlook Web Access with FBA. It would also be possible to create asp.net sql server forms accounts that map to your domain accounts ie they have the same name. You would probably need to write some code to create and map the FBA users as a batch.
Hope this helps