Feedback

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2007 at 7:07 PM
Please provide feedback about the Forms Authentication Feature here.
Feb 2, 2007 at 9:34 AM
Interesting webpart.

I would like to use it with a german version of SPS2007. What about the lables in this case? Can I change them to german?

Regards,
Oliver
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2007 at 7:36 PM
Hi, we have not tested this on other language(s). If you are referring to the names on screen these can be edited by editing the files that get's deployed to "_layouts/".
Feb 5, 2007 at 12:53 PM
Morning!

I am not see this freature after deploy.
Feb 6, 2007 at 5:06 PM
Hi - this seems like a great feature and just what I am looking for. However, it also seems like this is just for websites custom built on WSS. Can I run this in MOSS 2007?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Feb 6, 2007 at 8:14 PM
Yes, this will work on MOSS as well.
Feb 7, 2007 at 12:48 AM
Edited Feb 7, 2007 at 12:49 AM

Smoke wrote:
Morning!

I am not see this freature after deploy.

Hi,
Just a few basic things to check first:
1/ you have deployed it to the same web application you want to use the feature with (check this in central admin)
2/ you are looking for the feature at the top level of your site collection (it is a site level feature as opposed to web level)

Let me know how you get on
Feb 7, 2007 at 3:50 PM
I have followed the instructions to deploy the solution and have activated the feature on the site collection features, but when I try and add the web part to a site I get the following error:

Unable to add selected web part(s).

User Administration: The site http://devtpcportal?PageView=Shared could not be found in the web application SPWebApplication Name=DEVTPCPORTAL Parent=SPWebService.

Could you possible shed some light on this error if you have ever come across it yourself or know what it could possible mean?
Feb 7, 2007 at 8:12 PM
Hi,

I found on internet your Forms Based User Administration Feature Release Beta 1.0,

I tried to install it how it was describe in FormsAuthenticationFeature.doc.

i use Sql Server 2005 as database.

I faced to a problem when I tried to create a new user using asp.net web administration tool.

I checked the Membership provider and the connection string and every thing is fine. ( I tested the connection in the provider section in the asp.net web administration tool )

The thing is : I have noticed the problem occurs when you set enablePasswordRetrieval to true so paswordFormat to Encrypted in the membership section.

the error message sent whenver you want to create a new user is :

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Web.Administration.WebAdminMembershipProvider.CallWebAdminMembershipProviderHelperMethodOutParams(String methodName, Object[] parameters, Type[] paramTypes) at System.Web.Administration.WebAdminMembershipProvider.CreateUser(String username, String password, String email, String passwordQuestion, String passwordAnswer, Boolean isApproved, Object providerUserKey, MembershipCreateStatus& status) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.AttemptCreateUser() at System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnNextButtonClick(WizardNavigationEventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.WizardChildTable.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) at System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

But if you set enablePasswordRetrieval to false so paswordFormat to Hashed. it works : I can create my user.

Have you got any idea of what it may cause that ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Arioule.

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:50 AM

slawton wrote:
I have followed the instructions to deploy the solution and have activated the feature on the site collection features, but when I try and add the web part to a site I get the following error:

Unable to add selected web part(s).

User Administration: The site http://devtpcportal?PageView=Shared could not be found in the web application SPWebApplication Name=DEVTPCPORTAL Parent=SPWebService.

Could you possible shed some light on this error if you have ever come across it yourself or know what it could possible mean?

Hi there,
Before you add the web part can you make sure the page you are adding it on has a full url including page name.
So instead of 'http://devtpcportal', make the url show 'http://devtpcportal/default.aspx' (or whatever the page name is).
Then try and add the web part.
Please let me know if that works. We will have this issue sorted out for the next release.

Thanks
Zac
Feb 8, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Zac wrote

Hi there,
Before you add the web part can you make sure the page you are adding it on has a full url including page name.
So instead of 'http://devtpcportal', make the url show 'http://devtpcportal/default.aspx' (or whatever the page name is).
Then try and add the web part.
Please let me know if that works. We will have this issue sorted out for the next release.

Thanks
Zac

The url that I was trying to add it to looked like the following

http://devtpcportal/portalsites/devportal/pages/default.aspx

I created a new managed path, portalsites, I take it from what your saying that this control currently only works for sites created at the root level.

Thanks

Stewart
Feb 8, 2007 at 4:12 PM
This is a great web part. Had very little issues getting it up and running on my site. One question that I have is when how can you change what group a person is in after you add them? I do not see anything in the edit menu that would allow me to do this.

Thanks
Feb 8, 2007 at 6:35 PM

cfuka wrote:
This is a great web part. Had very little issues getting it up and running on my site. One question that I have is when how can you change what group a person is in after you add them? I do not see anything in the edit menu that would allow me to do this.

Thanks

Hi,
In order to edit what groups your user belongs to you can use the standard 'People & Groups' functionality.
Thanks
Zac
Feb 8, 2007 at 9:04 PM

slawton wrote:

I created a new managed path, portalsites, I take it from what your saying that this control currently only works for sites created at the root level.

Thanks

Stewart

No the control will work at any level. Sorry i'm not sure why you are getting this error yet. I need to reproduce it in my environment before I can work out what is going on.
Will get back to you soon.
Thanks
Zac
Feb 11, 2007 at 12:05 PM
I've the same problem as Spider, in that the solution deployed okay, but it doesn't appear in the list of features for the site.
Just to confirm your reply to Spider, I have deployed it to the correct site, and I am looking at the top level.
Any suggestions?
Feb 12, 2007 at 6:46 AM

PeterDean wrote:
I've the same problem as Spider, in that the solution deployed okay, but it doesn't appear in the list of features for the site.
Just to confirm your reply to Spider, I have deployed it to the correct site, and I am looking at the top level.
Any suggestions?

Only a site collection administrator can activate the feature. This is because it is a site wide feature. Make sure you have that level of permission (set it in central admin) and then look for the site collection features in site settings.
Zac
Feb 12, 2007 at 10:16 AM
>Only a site collection administrator can activate the feature. This is because it is a site wide feature. Make sure you have that level of permission (set it in central admin) and then look for the site collection features in site settings.

Yep, site admin.. anything else spring to mind?

--
Peter
Feb 12, 2007 at 3:17 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2007 at 3:56 PM
Since this is a features thread, I think it may be useful to post some ideas. First off, thanks for a much needed solution. Second, here are some observations:

1) When adding a user through user administration web part, there is a drop down list of which groups to add the user to. After some tinkering, I noticed this list is pulled from the same list used to populate the Group Quick Launch on the top level site. Not sure why, but it would be nice to have this editable to a specific set of groups or even better yet, a set of roles defined in the SQL Db.

2) When a user registers, they are by default added to the contributor group for the top level portal site. This would also be great as a configuration item. Example: I have a site collection with 10 sites. Although I have an Internet Zone, I really only want it configured for one particular site. For that site, I've setup FBA roles (contributor and admin). I would prefer to have the ability for registered members to only get placed into the specific contributor role in the FBA db.

3) There is a RedirectURL setup for the login. It would also be helpful to have a redirect URL for the registration page. Both should be a configuration Item.

Thanks for all your help!

Pirooz
Feb 13, 2007 at 4:23 AM
Hey its great to get some feedback on features.
1) Cool idea but this isnt a high priority. This list should populate any group you have created in site features (not just quick launch). Its an adminstrator only webpart so giving the option to add the user to any group is fine i think. Also don't really want to invole asp membership roles at all, i think it would just interfere with the group/role system in moss. You would end up having two sets of roles for each fba user. The idea here is to leverage as much of the standard SharePoint functionality, and try not to replace it.
2) This is definately high on the list. I intend to add a settings page (in _layouts) that will let you configure the initial group (among onther things).
3) great idea, low priority but could also include on the settings page pretty easily.

Zac
Feb 24, 2007 at 10:45 PM
Edited Feb 24, 2007 at 10:46 PM
This is a great feature and I like it very much. There are several things I'd like to notice.

1. I was setting up using the guide at http://digitalmelon.com/blog/archive/2007/01/29/187.aspx. And I found there no information that the feature must be deployed for the top-level site (I later found that here in the forum). I had several sub-sites (not daughter sites at "domain/site", but fully indepandent sites at "domain/managed_path/site") and tried to install the feature for each of them. The first issue I faced was the following. When trying to activate the feature twice (for two different sub-sites or for the same site if the first attempt was unsuccessful) it creates double "<forms loginUrl=..." line in web.config. And IIS fails immediately as it can be only one such line. The second issue is when I successfully activated the feature and tried to add the webpart, it gave me an error telling me I have no root site (at "domain/"). So I had to create one and move my indepandent sites to be daughters of it.

2. Each of my web applications use its own application pool account. So when trying to activate the feature I got dummy IE (not SharePoint "Access Denied") 403 page. In the WSS logs I found that there were insufficient permissions for modifying web.config files. So I temporary gave full access to these files for all local users. Then tried to activate the feature again, and got native SharePoint "Access Denied" page. Looked into logs again and this time found that it required the Farm Administrator permissions. So I had to add the local site's application pool account into Farm Admins group. Then the feature activated successfully (even with discarding the permissions change for web.config files). But when I later removed the AP's account from Farm Admins group, it deleted entirely the permissions for this acoount to the "SharePoint Config" database. So I had to use SQL Server Management Studio to create back the user and role manually.

But finally I got the feature up and running! Thank you very much for it.
Feb 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM

pronichkin wrote:
This is a great feature and I like it very much. There are several things I'd like to notice.

Thanks for pointing these things out. That is very useful feedback. I am aware that there are some problems with the way the web.config is manipulated. It seems that the Web Config modification helper class provided by SharePoint is not sufficient to safely make the changes to the web.config. This will be changed in the next release.
I will also attempt to replicate your other problems and get that fixed up too.
Zac
Feb 26, 2007 at 9:05 AM
Edited Feb 26, 2007 at 9:13 AM
Some considerations about what you could add to the feature in the future releases.

1. Webpart (not single page) for login. If user is already authenticated it should change into some configurable greeting.

2. Store the password hashed instead of encrypted. And reset it instead of just emailing the current one. The form should ask the security question, and if the answer provided by user is correct, then reset the password and email the new one. Anyway, the password retreival form must also use the Captcha functionality.

I'd be happy if some of my ideas will help improve the feature.
Feb 26, 2007 at 3:57 PM
I have the basic functionality working, no problems. Just questions:

This tool provides a handy integrated UI for adding users to the asp membership db, but what would add value is to provide more properties, and guidance on mapping the users to MOSS user profiles.

A big question I have is how to get the users into the MOSS User Profiles. This seems to be the missing link in much of the documentation.
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:26 PM

pronichkin wrote:
Some considerations about what you could add to the feature in the future releases.

1. Webpart (not single page) for login. If user is already authenticated it should change into some configurable greeting.

2. Store the password hashed instead of encrypted. And reset it instead of just emailing the current one. The form should ask the security question, and if the answer provided by user is correct, then reset the password and email the new one. Anyway, the password retreival form must also use the Captcha functionality.

I'd be happy if some of my ideas will help improve the feature.

1. Yeah I have actually already started on that, however the login screen is still needed in non-anonymous access enable scenarios.
2. I have definately considered this. I don't like the idea of a security question/answer. Its just another thing for a user to remember. Could possibly change to hashed and make password retrieval return the new random password (along with Captcha). This however, is much lower priority.

Thanks again for your feedback
Zac
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:52 PM

ztsmith wrote:
(...)
I don't like the idea of a security question/answer. Its just another thing for a user to remember. Could possibly change to hashed and make password retrieval return the new random password (along with Captcha). This however, is much lower priority.

OK, I fully agree, that secret question/answer is useless thing to remember. But resetting the password without any confirmation that it is actually account owner who want to reset it is not such a good idea also. So what about emailing an unique link, and resetting the password only if the true mailbox owner followed this link?
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:54 PM

bobchauvin wrote:
I have the basic functionality working, no problems. Just questions:

This tool provides a handy integrated UI for adding users to the asp membership db, but what would add value is to provide more properties, and guidance on mapping the users to MOSS user profiles.

A big question I have is how to get the users into the MOSS User Profiles. This seems to be the missing link in much of the documentation.

Basically user profiles can only be imported from Active Directory. As far as I know there is no way to import users from other sources.
When you add a user using either the web part or the registration page, the user is automatically added into moss. We do intend to add more properties, but these will initially be retsricted to what is viewable on the user information screens in 'People & Groups' eg Name, Department, Title etc
Zac
Feb 26, 2007 at 10:17 PM

pronichkin wrote:

ztsmith wrote:
(...)
I don't like the idea of a security question/answer. Its just another thing for a user to remember. Could possibly change to hashed and make password retrieval return the new random password (along with Captcha). This however, is much lower priority.

OK, I fully agree, that secret question/answer is useless thing to remember. But resetting the password without any confirmation that it is actually account owner who want to reset it is not such a good idea also. So what about emailing an unique link, and resetting the password only if the true mailbox owner followed this link?

sounds like a good solution, however like i said its fairly low priority. The current solution is there to get people started, and we will be releasing the source code with the 1.0 release. So people can make these changes themselves. I think the current procedure is adequate for now.
Mar 14, 2008 at 12:40 PM

ztsmith wrote:

slawton wrote:

Thanks

Stewart

No the control will work at any level. Sorry i'm not sure why you are getting this error yet. I need to reproduce it in my environment before I can work out what is going on.
Will get back to you soon.
Thanks
Zac

Hi,I have meet the same problem as slawton while adding the web part,the pop-message is "User Administration: The site http://Portal:6666?PageView=Shared could not be found in the web application SPWebApplication Name=SharePoint - 6666 Parent=SPWebService."
The url of the page I added the web master to is http://portal:6666/sites/form/userAdmin/default.aspx ,I have tried to add the web part to page :http://portal:6666/sites/form/pages/default.aspx,but it still didn't run.
What can I do?Can you give some advice to me?

Thank you very much.