Errors after deployment and activation

Topics: User Forum
Feb 13, 2007 at 9:29 PM
Hi there,

I download and installed/deployed the feature per the instructions earlier today. However, following that I ran into trouble.

1 - When I attempt to login using the original account that I created earlier I get an error.
2 - When attempting to create a user in the User Administration web part I am given an error message that states "The password-answer supplied is invalid." however I have verrified that in my web.config file the requiresQuestionAndAnswer property is set to false.
3 - From the main login screen if I click the link to register for an account the page does not open and I'm told an "unknown error" has occured. In addition if I attempt to type in the raw address for the site I encounter the same error; I am able to access the password retrieval site without any issues.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these issues. I suspect they are somewhat related, however, I have been unable to track down the error.

I should note that in the database I'm able to find an entry for a single user, however, in the User Admin web part no users are listed. This obviously leads me to suspect some kind of error in connecting with the database, but again I can't seem to track it down.

My memberhips provider information is taken directly from the provided documentation and my connection string as follows:

<add name="CustomAuthSqlConnString" connectionString="server=INFUSION-MS;database=IdevTestDB;Integrated Security=SSPI;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Thanks for any help!

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:57 PM
I've since re-read the documentation and realized that I made an error when setting up the provider in the Web Site Admin Tool. I currently don't have access to my set-up to verify this was the error, but thought I would post the update so no one wastes any time on this until I can make the necessary correction.
Feb 14, 2007 at 3:25 PM
Ok so I fixed up the membership provider issue and that resolved my earlier problems. I have however encountered a new problem. With form authentication I'm able to create new users and login without any problems. However, if I enter the UserAdmin and create a new user I'm confronted with an error screen after hitting the add button:

The "AdminWebPart" Web Part appears to be causing a problem. The user or group 'CustomAspNetSqlMembershipProvider:<user>' is unknown.

Where <user> is the username of the user that I had attempted to create.

Following this if I attempt to login or create a user on form authentication based site then all that occurs is the page refreshes for me. So if I attempted to login nothing occurs and I'm back at the login screen (no error message or anything). If I attempt to create an account the account is not created and I'm put back at the registration screen (again no message). The only way out of this problem that I've found is to remove the database and start fresh.

Are there any thoughts as to the cause?
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Chansky wrote:
Ok so I fixed up the membership provider issue and that resolved my earlier problems. I have however encountered a new problem. With form authentication I'm able to create new users and login without any problems. However, if I enter the UserAdmin and create a new user I'm confronted with an error screen after hitting the add button:

The "AdminWebPart" Web Part appears to be causing a problem. The user or group 'CustomAspNetSqlMembershipProvider:<user>' is unknown.

Where <user> is the username of the user that I had attempted to create.

Following this if I attempt to login or create a user on form authentication based site then all that occurs is the page refreshes for me. So if I attempted to login nothing occurs and I'm back at the login screen (no error message or anything). If I attempt to create an account the account is not created and I'm put back at the registration screen (again no message). The only way out of this problem that I've found is to remove the database and start fresh.

Are there any thoughts as to the cause?

Hi There

Can you clarify what you mean by " enter the UserAdmin and create a new user " is this the Administration sub site as descibed in the documentation?.

cheers

Chandima
Feb 15, 2007 at 2:12 AM
Yes exactly, using the "Create new user" link from the Administration web part that came as a part of this feaure. Sorry for the confusion I accidentally referred to by the name that I'd assigned to the page.