Questions for How to setup and config

Topics: User Forum
Mar 20, 2007 at 4:23 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2007 at 4:56 PM
1. I have seen nothing saying where to do some of these commands or if it matters which server you are on. Front-end or application server? Things like folder creation after activation which server does this happen on or which server to install the adminwebpart from. Does it matter? Should I already know this?

2. I may have missed it but I had to give the pool access to the database. This isn't a big deal, however the access I gave it wasn't right based on the adminwebpart from this site. I followed the how to's I used for Form Authentication but still got an error:

"The "AdminWebPart" Web Part appears to be causing a problem. EXECUTE permission denied on object 'aspnet_CheckSchemaVersion', database 'wss3testusers', schema 'dbo'.

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily close Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator. "

I had to go back and give it execute access for the webpart to work. A little more info in the how to would help other. I'm worried I missed something else. Will you please list what access is required in the user SQL database for this webpart.

3. It is not clear in the how to if I need to change the login.aspx or if the system would do it. The system did not do it form me so I backed up the files and renamed the log-in.aspx to login.aspx.

If this should happen automaticly I'm not sure where it went wrong.
Mar 25, 2007 at 3:15 AM

Jbenisek wrote:
1. I have seen nothing saying where to do some of these commands or if it matters which server you are on. Front-end or application server? Things like folder creation after activation which server does this happen on or which server to install the adminwebpart from. Does it matter? Should I already know this?

2. I may have missed it but I had to give the pool access to the database. This isn't a big deal, however the access I gave it wasn't right based on the adminwebpart from this site. I followed the how to's I used for Form Authentication but still got an error:

"The "AdminWebPart" Web Part appears to be causing a problem. EXECUTE permission denied on object 'aspnet_CheckSchemaVersion', database 'wss3testusers', schema 'dbo'.

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily close Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator. "

I had to go back and give it execute access for the webpart to work. A little more info in the how to would help other. I'm worried I missed something else. Will you please list what access is required in the user SQL database for this webpart.

3. It is not clear in the how to if I need to change the login.aspx or if the system would do it. The system did not do it form me so I backed up the files and renamed the log-in.aspx to login.aspx.

If this should happen automaticly I'm not sure where it went wrong.

1/ I believe you will need to install the feature on each of your front-end servers.
2/ This project is a community release, we have done our best to provide a simple solution with adequate documentation. If you are looking for a production ready solution you will need to do a significant amount of work yourself. The idea of this project is that it is a starting point.
3/ In the current release the system should change the web.config to log-in.aspx. Some people have reported issues with this. It is being addressed for the next release.
Mar 26, 2007 at 5:59 PM
I fixed the number 3. log-in.aspx problem. It was my error in using a diffrent setup giuld for Forms based attentication before I found your how to.

Once I compaired the 2 documents I found the error.

You have done a great job thank you for the work keep it up.

On a diffrent note: do you know how I could get a list of subsites listed on the main page as a webpart of with SharePoint Designer?

In v2 I could use mysubsite webpart but now I don't know.

I need to show a list of subsites a client has access to so they can click and login to them. I could use the top nav bar but there might be more then can display up top.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2007 at 8:05 PM

You have done a great job thank you for the work keep it up.

On a diffrent note: do you know how I could get a list of subsites listed on the main page as a webpart of with SharePoint Designer?

In v2 I could use mysubsite webpart but now I don't know.

I need to show a list of subsites a client has access to so they can click and login to them. I could use the top nav bar but there might be more then can display up top.

Hi, Thanks for your feedback.

For your next question, can you kindly post this to the SharePoint news group.
Also check out http://www.wssfaq.com which is maintained by MVP Mike Walsh and has a wealth of information on basic SharePoint related questions.

Typically in WSS V3 the sub sites are displayed on the left hand navigation. You can also add links to the Left Navigation Manually as they are sourced from a list.
Regards

Chandima